Following the national Aimhigher programme closure in July 2011, a new social enterprise called Aimhigher Northamptonshire Ltd has been established to provide similar services to schools and colleges and disadvantaged groups.
In the final year of the original Aimhigher project, considerable progress was made engaging young people in Northamptonshire, encouraging their progression to the next stage of learning, ultimately to study beyond level 3 in the work place or at a higher education (HE) establishment.
Some Attainment Facts :
Compulsory education attainment and post-16 progression trends in Northamptonshire
- Encouraging improvement in key stage 4 attainment over the past 10 years in Northamptonshire schools.
- Consistent and considerable improvement in the attainment of both girls and boys in Northamptonshire schools over recent years. (girls outperforming boys)
- Improvements in the attainment of free school meal claimants in Northamptonshire schools.
- Consistent improvements over recent years in the attainment of young people living in the most disadvantaged areas of Northamptonshire.
- The proportion of Northamptonshire's compulsory school leavers remaining in education and work-based learning (WBL) dramatically increased between 2003 and 2008
- Engagement with the harder to reach students, particularly those in receipt of free school meals in the county, has improved.
We hope to build on the previous work of Aimhigher and seek to take educational aspirations forward !