Recommended Year Group: Year 11 (aimed primarily at students considering vocational routes)
Recommended Group Size: 15 - 30
Duration: 1 Hour
Location: Ideally a room with PCs so that students can have the opportunity to search for courses and participate in ‘virtual tours’ of local college facilities. Otherwise a classroom.
- To introduce students to the concept of FE beyond the traditional options offered by 6th form.
- To advise them of the details of local colleges, open days and some of the courses available.
- To get them thinking about their interests and what information they may need to take these interests further.
Students will :
- Be familiar with the National Qualifications Framework and their current position on it. They will have considered how far they might like to travel with their education and possible pathways.
- Have received details of the times, dates and locations of open days at local FE colleges.
- Know where to look to get more information about available FE courses and entry requirements.
- Have thought specifically about what they are interested in and how they might pursue this interest into FE and what they need to know in order to make decisions about this.
- Have details of websites they can go to in order to find out information on FE.
- PowerPoint (with explanatory notes)
- True/False cards (laminated cards with TRUE on one side and FALSE on the other)
This presentation will need updating annually with details of local college courses and open days. It will also need amending for each school if they wish to include details specific to their 6th form.