Recommended Year Group: FE Year 1
Recommended Group Size: 10 - 30
Duration: 1 Hour
Location: Classroom / IT suite
- To get students thinking about goal setting and taking a positive view of the future career and education.
- To get them to consider education beyond FE and advise them of some of the benefits of this and the options which may be available to them.
Students will :
- Be aware of the importance of positive thinking and self belief in achieving positive outcomes.
- They will have identified at least one goal and considered the actions they will need to take in order to achieve this.
- They will be familiar with the term Higher Education or HE, what types of qualifications this refers to and where they might study for them.
- They will also be aware of the National Qualifications Framework, their place on it and possible routes that they might follow.
- They will have participated in a short quiz which will have shown them that university students are not as different from them as they may have assumed.
- They will have participated in a discussion regarding the benefits of HE and be aware of a range of these including educational, financial and personal ones.
- They will be aware of what UCAS is for and some of the unexpected ways in which they may accrue UCAS points.
- They will have discovered some details about life as a student in HE and have had the opportunity to question a current undergraduate about their experiences of student life.
- They will have some information regarding loan, grants and bursaries and know where to go to get more specific information as they require it.
- They will also have had the opportunity to do some research into courses available in their chosen subject (if an IT suite is provided)
- PowerPoint (with explanatory notes)
- 1 or 2 undergraduate student ambassadors
This workshop is aimed primarily at students who are studying vocational courses and thus the content is highly interactive and tends towards more detailed coverage of vocational/ work based learning routes although other options are discussed and students are advised to do their own further research. This workshop will also need to be adapted according to what level the students are studying at e.g. year 1 level 1 or 2, and would benefit from adaptation according to the subject the group are studying.