Recommended Year Group: Year 13
Recommended Group Size: 10 - 40
Duration: 45 Minutes
Location: Classroom or similar
- To help year 13s to feel more comfortable about making the transition to university.
- To provide them with some tips to help them make a smooth transition from studying at 6th form and living at home to studying at university and the possibility of moving away.
Students will :
- Be aware of the skills they have developed at 6th form which will help them transition to university and the skills which they will need to develop.
- Be aware of the opportunities available at university to help them meet new people and ‘fit in’ to the environment.
- Have participated in a group exercise which will get them to think about the practicalities of moving away from home or setting up a study space within their current residence including what things to take with them.
- Be aware of many of the sources of support available to them at university including counselling services and careers advice.
- PowerPoint (with explanatory notes)
- Paper and pens.
- Undergraduate student ambassadors
This presentation can be adapted to make it suitable for an audience considering the transition into university or employment. It also benefits from the inclusion of a number of undergraduate student ambassadors who can participate in the group exercise and be on hand to answer questions and provide a unique perspective on making the transition to university from the point of view of someone who has recently experienced this.